A lot of you seemed interested in my Hash Brown Quiche yesterday so here’s the recipe!
Now, I originally got this from the Food Network from Paula Deen. But we all know the lady loves her fats so I “healthified” it a bit.
Hash Brown Quiche
- 3-4 cups, shredded frozen hash browns, thawed (Depends on how big your pie plate is. And make sure you buy/use just raw shredded potatoes)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (or butter if you want)
- 2 large eggs + 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 low-fat turkey sausages
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Place thawed hash browns in a clean kitchen towel and ring out as much excess moisture as you can. Place hash browns in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Melt the coconut oil and pour over the hash browns. Mix well and press the hash browns into the plate, forming a “crust” on the bottom and up the sides of the pan (as if you were making a regular pie crust). Make sure to distribute the crust evenly so that there are no holes.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust turns lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, remove the turkey sausage from the casings. Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat, crumbling the sausage into bite-size pieces. Once cooked, place on a plate with a paper towel to drain the fat.
- Using the same sauce pan, dump the sausage fat and add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until the onion starts to caramelize and turn light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the eggs, milk, onions, sausage, cheese, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- When the crust is finished, lower the oven temperature to 375F.
- Add the egg mixture to the crust and bake ~30 minutes until the quiche is golden brown.
Adapted from Paula Deen
Hope y’all enjoy this!!